upgrading to fc16 video or gtk3 problem?

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 17:51:34 UTC 2012

After upgrading from fc14 to fc16 using DVD iso,
I booted up after the upgrade, and tried to log in
on the gnome welcome screen.
Well, I got the blue screen but my desktop never
came up and a banner popped up
Oooops - something went wrong ... logout and try again.

I was never able to go beyond that no matter how many
times I retried.

Then I performed the updates.
After the updates, I rebooted.

Now I get no gnome welcome screen.
The screen stays  blank, and the
disk activity light on the computer remains on,
until I press the Return key. After that the
disk activity light goes out, and screen remains blank.

PS: my graphics chip is the legacy Radeon Mobility 9600/M10

I tried to switch to any one of the vty's
(Control-Alt F2 or F3 or F4) to no avail. Nothing happens.

Any ideas what to look at and fix in single user mode?

Thanx,

JD