criminal use of linux

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Wed Aug 1 16:54:33 UTC 2012

Microsoft put a lot of money into that legal fight. SCO lost, so
apparently they decided to take another kick at the can, but more
directly this time.

They're using classic FUD to scare people into paying royalties on
software when there is no legal precedent backing MS' claims. They
simply have to tell the client/victim "Hey, we're going to try this in
court. We haven't selected a target yet..." and the company will get the
message.

Legal fights with companies sitting on the kind of cash MS has is a
nearly impossible battle to win, unless you can match them. So this has
nothing to do with facts and more to do with bullying.

Digimer

On 08/01/2012 11:13 AM, Jack Craig wrote:
> Typical M$ thinking, and within recent history, SCO!!
>
> Litigation, a sure death trap...
>
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Skunk Worx <skunkworx at verizon.net
> <mailto:skunkworx at verizon.net>> wrote:
>
>     Uh oh...
>
>     http://www.theregister.co.uk/__2012/07/25/microsoft_patent___deal_amdocs/
>     <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/25/microsoft_patent_deal_amdocs/>
>
>     "Microsoft has claimed since 2007 that more than 235 of its patents
>     are violated by the open source operating system Linux, while
>     critics claim Redmond has a cynical eye on the project as another
>     source of revenue."
>
>     Between the "Android Tax" and this, indemnification licensing
>     appears to be the only way to protect linux users from themselves.
>
>     Oracle Linux Network : $119 per system, per year.
>     RedHat Desktop : $49 per system, per year (minimum).
>     RedHat Server  : $349 per system, per year (minimum).
>
>     ---
>     John
>     --

Digimer