boot: linux text => "Could not find kernel image: linux"

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Mon Aug 6 18:06:45 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 August 2012 06:20, Richard Vickery <richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Dave Burns <tburns at hawaii.edu> wrote:

>>> If that was my problem, wouldn't the error message say something about
>>> no such username/password, rather than "Could not find kernel image:
>>> linux"? I am booting the dvd, which has no username for me yet.
>>>
>>> If I let the boot proceed without trying to force it into text mode
>>> and wait for the video mode error message, at that point I can hit
>>> ctl-alt-f3 and escape into the command line tty. At that point it asks
>>> for a username, and if I type in 'root' it logs me in without any
>>> password. I suppose I could proceed with the install, or maybe tweak
>>> the video setup, at that point, but I don't know what to do.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> TDB
>>>

>> The problem is that you don't have that image; the OS needs that kernel
>> image to operate. You may need to re-install, or maybe - I have never tried
>> this - get that same file from somewhere on the internet, perhaps one of us.
>> I'm not so sure that the second method will work; perhaps we can get someone
>> with a lot more knowledge than I have to help.
>
> Something doesn't make sense here, Dave is booting the install disc, I
> wouldn't expect there to be any files missing. So far as I can see
> from the anaconda documentation "linux text" should work, I can try it
> later. What disc is this exactly? Install DVD? Live disc?

Hmmm, now that you ask, I suspect it is the live disk. Embarrassment.
I was not the person who created it. Is there a different approach for
the live disk, or should I just burn another disk with the correct
installer on it?
TDB

> Anyone know
> how the anaconda arguments should work?
>
> --
> imalone
> http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk
> --

Q: Why should this email be 5 sentences or less?
A: http://five.sentenc.es
IPRC-help FAQ: https://docs.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/document/d/1RAeijiOXg2BxFuQ_tJejljH9r5GdNDc0DktI9k1j0jU/edit