boot: linux text => "Could not find kernel image: linux"

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 07:58:31 UTC 2012

On 6 August 2012 19:06, Dave Burns <tburns at hawaii.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Something doesn't make sense here, Dave is booting the install disc, I
>> wouldn't expect there to be any files missing. So far as I can see
>> from the anaconda documentation "linux text" should work, I can try it
>> later. What disc is this exactly? Install DVD? Live disc?
>
> Hmmm, now that you ask, I suspect it is the live disk. Embarrassment.
> I was not the person who created it. Is there a different approach for
> the live disk, or should I just burn another disk with the correct
> installer on it?

Still hoping someone who knows the difference between the live and
installer discs will chip in here. The kernel image on the Live disk
is vmlinuz0, but that doesn't boot the same way as the documentation
for the install disc one says. I can only guess the install disc
provides a different kernel image as substituting 'vmlinuz0 text' runs
into problems of no root="" and runs into a backtrace. That or the
documentation is wrong.
There is a low resolution graphics mode in the troubleshooting menu if
that would help at all.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk