boot: linux text => "Could not find kernel image: linux"

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 15:49:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 11:44:31AM +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
> On 7 August 2012 09:40, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Disclaimer: I'm no expert.
> >
> > I do not think any Fedora Live media supports text mode install.  It is
> > designed to present you a working desktop and if you like it, install to
> > hard drive using anaconda.  A good example of a text mode live media
> > would be the Archlinux boot image.
> >

> This certainly appears to be the case (though not really sure why you
> make a point of saying 'any Fedora Live media' as there's more of a
> distinction between that and the install media), but in that case the
> documentation at:
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/17/html/Installation_Guide/ch-Boot-x86.html
> is incorrect.

Confession: I haven't looked at the doc page you pointed to.

I say "any Fedora Live media" because there is a distinction between
Installation media, and Live media.  The official spins and remixes are
live images, in the sense that you can boot to a working desktop without
installing anything on your hard drive.  Whereas, installation media are
the DVDs[1] which lets you install with all the installation methods and
features supported by anaconda but *does not* give you a working desktop
before installing to the disk.

To summarise:

1. DVD installation media: no live desktop, but all installation methods
   are supported.

2. Live media: presents you a working desktop without installation,
   which can be optionally installated by limited support for different
   installation methods.

HTH

Footnotes:

[1] There are some Live DVD spins though, e.g. Games spin.

--
Suvayu