boot: linux text => "Could not find kernel image: linux"

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 21:43:01 UTC 2012

On 7 August 2012 15:17, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> On 08/07/2012 09:23 PM, Ian Malone wrote:
>> I could do, assuming I had both to hand.  Can someone then explain why
>> the 'linux' command to boot works (assuming the documentation is
>> correct) on the install DVD, but not the Live DVD? So far as I can see
>> that should be the name of the image that gets started. Rather than
>> trying to compare them side by side and guess I was hoping someone who
>> knows could actually explain what processes are going on here.
>
> Download them?

Funnily enough downloading a 3.6GB ISO to answer a simple question
isn't normally my first response. Someone must know the answer. In any
case if the images are the same as you say (you've done this
yourself?) it's not going to tell me what the difference is. Or indeed
that there's any difference, and then the only way to test that is to
burn them image and try it. Which still doesn't explain what's going
on.

> If you boot the LiveCD, then hit esc to get to the boot prompt you can type "linux0 text" and all that will do is boot the LiveCD image since that is the way the CD is designed.

In fact, linux0 is the name of a menu option in the boot loader, which
starts to explain some things. The earlier discussion in this thread
focused on kernel images.

> There isn't an option to do an Install from the LiveCD in the same manner as from the DVD.  I suppose I could see how you may get that impression from the documentation link you've provided.

Partially of course because that's exactly what it does say. I'm not
being obtuse: it lists all the different media and then goes on to
explain the graphical interface and the additional boot options. No
distinction is made.

>  Feel free to propose a correction to the documentation.

I know nearly enough now to do so, but did getting the information to
do that really have to involve pulling nails?

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk