Failed Migration to Linux

Mike Flannigan mikeflan at att.net
Sat Aug 11 00:42:51 UTC 2012

On 8/10/2012 10:28 AM, users-request at lists.fedoraproject.org wrote:
> I've never known Ubuntu to bomb like that. Especially with an nVidia card. Must be some oddball setup
>   you have there. Or, there's a hardware issue. Almost sounds like the video card isn't right. Maybe not seated correctly?

At least the Nvidia GeForce GTX560 Ti is showing up in
my Device Manager.  I'm guessing there may be a hardware
problem of some kind, but I don't have a lot of other
evidence of that.

> What shop you mean ' no home network'? I've got an entire home LAN setup. Windows and Linux. It's not out of the box however. You will need SAMBA for that. At least for seeing/interacting with Windows machines. It's really not that complicated to get that setup. I, or anyone, here can probably walk you through that.
>   You aren't that far from getting a good setup. Seems a bit silly to give up just because of that.
>    You don't need to figure it out on your own. That's why we have a mailing list for.  I'll be glad to work with you offlist if you like.

Yeah, I just meant I could not connect on my wired
home network.  It saw the internet and had an icon
that said Windows Network, but it gave that error
"unable to mount location" no matter what I did.
It might have been as simple as changing the workgroup
from Workgroup to MSHOME, but I couldn't get that
done either.

Mike