Router logging -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Aug 11 21:21:34 UTC 2012

On 11/08/12 11:24, Steven Stern types:
> On 08/11/2012 09:49 AM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
>>     I'm looking for a Linux application for logging the output from a
>>     Cisco/Linksys WRT54GL/tomato ver. 1.28 router. I've been googling
>>     and everything I've found seems for Windows [Surprise!].
>>
>>     I need a detailed log, preferably one that will tell me which
>>     computer on my LAN is going where so I can deal with high usage
>>     problems. This is for Fedora 17/64 bit.
>>
>>     What do I need?
>>
>>     Bob
>>
>>     --    http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
>>
>>     box9
>>
> Does the router support rsyslog? My D-Link router has an option to use
> rsyslog for logging. I use that to send the logs to one of my Linux
> boxes on which I enabled remote logs for the router's IP address.
>
> This website indicates it is possible to configure the router:
> http://adminscoffe.wordpress.com/2010/04/08/rsyslog-captures-wrt54gl-tomatos-logs/

    It looks like he was dealing with another version of Linux.

    I found a place where I could make the changes he suggest
    [/etc/rsyslog.conf]:

        # Provides UDP syslog reception
        $ModLoad imudp
        $UDPServerRun 514

    Then I need to find where the logs go or better yet send them to a
    file like /home/bobg/Ulog in this computer [192.168.1.9]. He suggests:

        2. (Optional) Create the file /etc/rsyslogd.d/openwrt.conf with
        the following contents:

        :source, isequal, "myrouter.mydomain" /var/log/mylogfile.log
        :source, isequal, "myrouter.mydomain" ~

    I created that file but I don't think it is recognized by the
    version of rsyslog in Fedora-17?

    Bob

    --
    http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD