F17: How to always show desktop notifications?

sguazt marco.guazzone at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 08:16:08 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 11:53:11AM +0200, sguazt wrote:
>> In GNOME, when you have "unread" desktop notifications come from a
>> specific source (e.g., empathy, mail-notification), all new
>> notifications from that source do not pop-up.
>> Instead, they are stacked up in the "unread notifications" place
>> (which appears as the envelope-like icon the systray area).
>
> I don't get this "unread notifications" place. In GNOME 3, they popup
> almost always. In latest versions the popup is sometimes shown with a
> delay, but IIRC that's decided by gnome-shell.
>
> Suggest just filing a bug so some developer looks at it. Ideally
> whatever handles the "unread notifications" place.
>
> FWIW, most GNOME apps just use (IIRC) persistent notifications; that's
> in the specification.

Hi Olav,

Thank you for replying.

You're right that under gnome-shell all is OK.

However, actually I don't use gnome-shell. Instead I use Openbox +
some GNOME3-related programs (like gnome-settings-daemon) to bring
some of GNOME3 desktop integration features.

In my case, the effect of unread notifications is the one you can see
in the following screenshot http://i48.tinypic.com/2qkovpw.png
In this screenshot there are two unread notifications: one from
mail-notification and the other one from radiotray.
For instance, in case of radiotray, when a new song begin, I can see
the related popup if there is already a related unread notification.

Cheers,

-- Marco