Question about Preferred Applications

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 14:42:10 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 10:13:10AM -0400, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
> On 22/08/12 08:12, Suvayu Ali responds:
> >How about using the following in a script:
> >

> >#!/bin/bash
> >
> >firefox "https://mail.google.com/mail/?extsrc=mailto&url=${@}"
> >

> >Where ${@} is any mailto url like this:mailto:user at example.com.
> >
> >-- Suvayu
>
>    I tried this and it works. It brings up firefox and a google page
>    requesting my user id/password which I had to search for. All my
>    Thunderbird mail goes through gmail via wildblue.net.
>
>    However the page it brings up is "compose" I found no way to view
>    received e-mail?

That was the objective, to bring up compose addressed according to the
mailto link.  If you just want to view/read your emails, you can just
change the url to "https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox".  If you
want specific labels, you can try something like this:
"https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#label/<name_of_label>"

You can even link to specific email threads from your records/notes like
this:

"https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#all/1394076b7582f296"

The above should take you to the current thread on _my_ Gmail account.
Of course you can't view it since you can't login as me :-p.  The hash
in the url uniquely identifies the thread in my Gmail account.

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu