Clean install keeping home folder intact

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 02:16:37 UTC 2012

On 08/22/2012 08:38 AM, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>>> Just pick an OS that doesn't need updating/discarding all the time.
> Eddie G. O'Connor Jr:
>> Which OS's would that be?...just to satisfy my own curiosity?...
> There's CentOS, and there was (may still be) a long life version of
> Ubuntu.  Where you install a particular release, and there isn't a
> cut-off date for the creation of any updates.  So, you can do package
> updates for years to come, without having to do a destroy and rebuild
> total upgrade.  Of course, you get older, less changed, applications.
> But that's not so much of an issue on a file server, where you don't use
> web browsers, word processors, etc.
>
> Or there are rolling-update distros, like Gentoo (if it's still around,a
> and still works, that way).  Where everything installed is updated, as
> needs be, bit by bit.  So, what was installed 4 years ago, is never an
> out-of-date system.
>
> And, for the true gluttons for punishment, you can roll your own install
> from the source files.  If you like, you can have very little other than
> core files and networking.  No Gnome, KDE, whatever...

WOW!..that is AWESOME!......hmm but now I'm thinking I should "switch"
to CEntOS?....LoL! Nah....I'm NEVER leaving Fedora!...But I do have an
old Dell Optiplex....running WIndows XP right now.....hmm.....maybe a
new "face" with Ubuntu?...or Gentoo? (Who's update model I think sounds
good!) Wish me luck!!

EGO II