F16>F17: F17 can't find root by uuid - which exists!

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Mon Aug 27 17:53:44 UTC 2012

On 27.08.2012, sean darcy wrote:

> Finally got it to boot. Used /dev/sda2 instead of UUID. BTW, using
> root=LABEL gives same devnode error.

Nice to hear!

> I'll try to force-install kernel.rpm. But which kernel? Does it matter? The
> most recent F17 kernel on koji is 3.5.2-3, which is that same kernel now
> installed!

Now that it works, I would strongly suggest that you don't overwrite
your actually working configuration and kernel. There's clearly
something wrong, because booting via uuid has been working all the
time.

You could make a copy og grub.cfg and your initramfs and store it in a
safe place, add the correct uuid in grub.cfg again and recreate the
initramfs with "dracut -f" and try to reboot. If it fails, you can
copy back your working config and initramfs.

I have never used any Fedora kernels any longer than for installation
and have no clue if you can install the same versions in
parallel. Most probably you'll have to rename one of them and
recompile it. Otherwise, you could just compile your own kernel
(e.g. actual stable from kernel.org), it will live peacefully together
with your installed Fedora kernel.

In case you are not familiar with compiling your own kernel, you could
do it this way:

1. download actual stable from kernel.org and unpack it into /usr/src.
2. Take the .config of your installed Fedora kernel (from /boot) and
copy it into your sourcetree as ".config".
3. "make oldconfig"
4. "make -jx" (where the x is the number of your available CPU-cores/threads)
5. "make modules_install"
6. "make install"
7. That's it - reboot now.