F16>F17: F17 can't find root by uuid - which exists!

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 20:28:50 UTC 2012

On 08/27/2012 01:53 PM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 27.08.2012, sean darcy wrote:
>
>> Finally got it to boot. Used /dev/sda2 instead of UUID. BTW, using
>> root=LABEL gives same devnode error.
>
> Nice to hear!
>
>> I'll try to force-install kernel.rpm. But which kernel? Does it matter? The
>> most recent F17 kernel on koji is 3.5.2-3, which is that same kernel now
>> installed!
>
> Now that it works, I would strongly suggest that you don't overwrite
> your actually working configuration and kernel. There's clearly
> something wrong, because booting via uuid has been working all the
> time.
>
> You could make a copy og grub.cfg and your initramfs and store it in a
> safe place, add the correct uuid in grub.cfg again and recreate the
> initramfs with "dracut -f" and try to reboot. If it fails, you can
> copy back your working config and initramfs.
>
> I have never used any Fedora kernels any longer than for installation
> and have no clue if you can install the same versions in
> parallel. Most probably you'll have to rename one of them and
> recompile it. Otherwise, you could just compile your own kernel
> (e.g. actual stable from kernel.org), it will live peacefully together
> with your installed Fedora kernel.
>
> In case you are not familiar with compiling your own kernel, you could
> do it this way:
>
> 1. download actual stable from kernel.org and unpack it into /usr/src.
> 2. Take the .config of your installed Fedora kernel (from /boot) and
> copy it into your sourcetree as ".config".
> 3. "make oldconfig"
> 4. "make -jx" (where the x is the number of your available CPU-cores/threads)
> 5. "make modules_install"
> 6. "make install"
> 7. That's it - reboot now.

TaDa! it works.

I did force install of kernel-3.5.2-3. Then grub2-install. Then
grub2-mkconfig. Same problem. Each time I needed to edit the grub stanza
to replace UUID with /dev/sda2.

Then tried dracut -f .

That worked.

You can see the dracut generated initramfs is slightly smaller the
tmp/initramfs that was bundled with the kernel:

ls -l initramfs-3.5.2-3.fc17.x86_64.img
tmp/initramfs-3.5.2-3.fc17.x86_64.img
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 19584183 Aug 27 16:01
initramfs-3.5.2-3.fc17.x86_64.img
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 19614729 Aug 27 15:08
tmp/initramfs-3.5.2-3.fc17.x86_64.img

Thanks for all the help. I never would have figured this one out.

sean