Disconnect

Kevin Martin ktmdms at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 15:49:25 UTC 2012

On 08/28/2012 09:13 AM, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> On 2012-08-28 16:04, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 28. August 2012. 12.15.16 Patrick Dupre wrote:
>>> The NetworkNamager provides a disconnect option. I undertand that it
>>> can be manager through /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d
>>> However, when I disconnect the ppp0 connection, ppp0 is already
>>> down (due to the disconnect) and prevents me to collect information
>>> through ifconfig.
>>>
>>> How can I avoid this problem. I wish to collect information of the
>>> ppp0 just before it is turned off.
>>
>> Wasn't this covered in another thread already?
>>
>> If you want to see ifconfig output just before disconnecting, open a
>> terminal,
>> type "ifconfig", read the output, then disconnect. It's pretty obvious, I
>> guess.
>>
>> So, the nonobvious thing is: what precisely is the actual problem you are
>> trying to solve? Please try to be more precise.
>>
> I want it does it automatically!

The problem I see in what you are trying to do is that there is no way to determine when exactly a disconnect will be taking place.
 If you know exactly when a disconnect will take place then it should be fairly simple to script it but if the disconnects take
place randomly there is no way you'll be able to script it.  You would have to have a program (daemon) running with hooks into the
network stack that reported statistics at the time of the disconnect and I don't think that's easy to do and certainly would require
an in depth knowledge of programming at the driver level to do it.

Kevin