How to revert to Thunderbird 14? Thunderbird 15 breaks an add-on

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Thu Aug 30 19:34:56 UTC 2012

On 8/30/2012 15:21, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 08/30/2012 11:56 AM, Don Levey wrote:
>> Knowing that an update would invalidate an extension would in no way
>> prevent you from installing the update if you chose to do so.  But not
>> knowing that one's extension will no longer work until after
>> installation causes some people to delay installation for longer than
>> necessary, until they know for certain via external sources that there
>> is an extension that will work.  I tend to prefer information.  YMMV.
>
> Having the warnings about extensions be only an advisory, allowing you
> to proceed anyway, would be better than just stopping the update because
> of an extension conflict.  However, Thunderbird doesn't exactly update
> itself under Linux, it depends on your distro's package management
> system.  How would you expect yum (either directly or indirectly through
> yumex or the system updater or what have you) to handle this situation?

An excellent question.  Currently I run Thunderbird on both Linux and
Windows, and right now it's Windows that is giving me the "update NOW"
messages.  I almost never use the Linux version, preferring to
remote-desktop into my Windows-based work machine, because at least then
I have a chance of making sure my Mozilla-provided Lightning calendar
extension will actually work.

As for the Linux version, I honestly don't know.  Perhaps a separate
utility to scan the XPIs installed and check the Mozilla database
against the new version?  I don't know if that's possible, or even if
that's a realistic thing to suggest.  I am not a programmer, or I would
try doing something like that myself.

 -Don