Controlling displays with HDMI output

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 16:27:06 UTC 2012

Hi,

>> Another problem is with the display size of the HDMI.
>
> Are you using the closed source ATI drivers, or the open source
> radeon driver? For me, only the open source driver works
> well. The proprietary ATI drivers were designed by utter morons
> who believe that people might be upset if digital display
> devices didn't emulate the "overscan" crap that CRTs were
> subject to.

I'm using the open source radeon drivers that are included with fc17.
I meant to mention that in my initial post.

The general consensus is that the open source drivers are better than
the ATI drivers?

I've been using the binary drivers since I bought this card for fc15.
The open source support then was complete crap and I had no option.
I'm surprised to hear it's better now.

Does anyone have an idea how to configure GNOME3 to display the
Activities menu at the top of every display?

How can I switch to Xfce without having to download and reinstall that spin?

Thanks for the ideas on the TV settings. I'll try that later.

Thanks again,
Alex