Getting to F18

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Dec 16 22:44:54 UTC 2012

Am 16.12.2012 23:28, schrieb Joe Zeff:
> On 12/16/2012 02:06 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> 98% of all attacks and spam out there are from machines where
>> the owner said "oh i do not need more security and do not care"
>>
>> 90 % of this are home-machines beeing part of a botnet and the
>> rest vservers of users missing any admin skill but think to
>> need a root-server
>
> ...and over 99% of those machines are running Windows.

the next dangerous assumption because this is true today
but tables may turn quickly, few years ago apple OSX was
also assumed to be no target

not long ago i saw a compromised iMac from a user i would not call
an idiot hacked by outdated java-plugin, AFAIK this was only more
or less a proof of concept but after the damage is done it's too late

> My router is set to send requests on certain ports to specific machines
> and drop everything else without reply.

be careful to trust cheap home routers here
many of them starting to act as a hub if they are overloaded

> Those machines only accept connections on those ports with proper authentication

which should be a minimum requierment

>  All of my machines have their firewalls active and SELinux enabled.

good so!

>  And, with very rare exceptions, all of the software they run come from the
> standard repositories for their distro.  (I use only Fedora, but my sister
> uses Ubuntu.)

fine