Can anyone recommend a good video editing tool?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Dec 26 22:36:16 UTC 2012

Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
>> I am looking for something to edit video and snip a few passages out to
>> save. Something like audacity for video. I am loading avidemux as I type,
>> but the avi format seems to have limitations which are much more restrictive
>> than mpg. The OReilly "Multimedia" book is seven years old, and is more like
>> a history book than a useful user guide by now.
>
> Back to the original question :)
>
> It appears you already have RPM Fusion repository installed?
>
> That being the case I would recommend Openshot or Kdenlive. They are
> much newer alternatives to Kino which last I checked was really only
> designed for editing DV recordings (no HD).
>
> Openshot is largely python based and has a nice interface and is
> pretty simple to use. Kdenlive (as the name suggests) uses the KDE
> libraries and in KDE fashion is powerful but also more complicated.
> You may want to avoid this if you don't have KDE installed and don't
> want to pull in a bunch of deps.

I don't run KDE, but I certainly have in the past and would use a KDE tool if it
did what I want. I could even install a VM to run KDE and video if that seemed
like a good way to get at the tools. I'll keep these suggestions handy, may try
Openshot, since I can use it in my current environment, and wait for a need
before going to something more powerful.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>