USB Live Install problem -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Dec 29 18:33:08 UTC 2012

On 29/12/12 13:14, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA writes:
>
>>            Is there a way I can install without using the USB flash
>>            drive? There is no optical drive in that box. Is there a
>>            scheme for installing over the LAN connection?
>
> Yes, but first you need to make sure that your target computer
> supports booting over the network. Poke in its BIOS, see if you can
> find some option that's described somewhere along the lines as being
> able to boot over the network. There's usually an option somewhere
> that sets the order in which the BIOS attempts to boot, whether the
> first device is the hard drive, or the CD/DVD ROM, or USB. If one of
> those options is a network boot, you're good to go. That's presuming
> that this is a network port on the motherboard. If you have a
> standalone network card, the card should have its own internal BIOS
> that you can enter during the boot, with an option to enable booting.
>
> The Fedora installation guide has instructions for installing Fedora
> over the network, using a network-based boot, so I guess you can
> follow along, but you'll need to verify that your motherboard supports
> a network-based boot, first, otherwise you'll be wasting your time.
>
> I use a different, slightly order method, BTW, of manually setting up
> DHCP, TFTP, and isolinux.

    Ok, I will save this and give it a try but for the present I tried
    "livecreator" with an external hard drive instead of the flash
    drive. For whatever reason the hard drive worked with out a hitch.

    The installer was difficult for me to use, among other things gray
    text on a light gray background, I gave up and used the install
    defaults ...

    Thank you,

    Bob

--