Enabling Wireless network without NetworkManager

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Dec 31 01:06:49 UTC 2012

Jim wrote:

>> Maybe also (if necessary)
>>    iwconfig wlan0 ssid SSID-NAME
>>    iwconfig wlan0 key YOUR-KEY
>>    iwconfig wlan0 mode RESTRICTED or OPEN

> It won't accept the key and the mode.   It will only accept Mode as
> Managed.  the key is the one in the router, under Wireless Security .
>
> The problem is the wireless network is not starting.  It cannot find the
> Gateway 192.168.1.1 , and that is the correct setting
>
> How do you start the wireless network ?
>
> Remember I'm not using NetworkManager

I agree, Fedora WiFi is very badly organized.

NM is appallingly badly documented,
and the old network interface has got mixed up with NM.
As for kdenetwork this simply makes a bad situation even worse.

NM has become ludicrously complicated.
It is trying to do too many different things;
in my view it should just concentrate on WiFi.

I sympathise with you completely.
The only further suggestions I have are
1) try system-config-network
2) choose your IP address,
and try "sudo ifconfig wlan0 192.168.2.7" or whatever
3) see what appears in /var/log/messages
4) make sure your AP is working ok, maybe re-start it.