Choice of repository error I think

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 22:18:11 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 2:49 PM, don fisher <hdf3 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I recently installed F16. I had the fedora-update.repo repository enabled
> when I ran yum. Should fedora-updates.repo be enabled?

Did you mean fedora-updates-testing.repo?  That's where Firefox 10 is
at present.  Generally you shouldn't have that enabled unless you like
to test new updates and have them break on occasion.

fedora-updates.repo should be enabled by default and remain enabled,
it's the stable updates repository.

> Yum installed firefox-10.0-1.fc16.x86_64 and xulrunner-10.0-1.fc16.x86_64.
> This combination does not appear to work. I do not know how to get back to
> where I was before the upgrade. I tried:
>
> yum downgrade
> yum distribution-synchronization
>
> after disabling the fedora-updates.repo.

You need to list the packages you want downgraded with the "yum
downgrade" command.  So you want to run:
yum downgrade firefox xulrunner

Looking at the update in the updates system [1], several other
packages were upgraded with it, so yum might complain stating those
need to be downgraded too.  Simply add the necessary packages to the
downgrade command to get it to work.

Please also file a bug [2] describing the problem so it gets fixed and
leave negative karma for the update [1] so a broken update doesn't get
pushed to stable.

> Any assistance would be appreciated. I am trying to return from Ubuntu, so
> it has been awhile.

-T.C.

[1] https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2012-1147
[2] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fedora&version=rawhide&component=firefox