Router help please - Linksys Windows only?

don fisher hdf3 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 6 01:52:51 UTC 2012

On 02/04/12 18:27, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM, don fisher<hdf3 at comcast.net>  wrote:
>> I am receiving The following error messages every 30 seconds in
>> /var/log/messages:
>>
>> avahi-daemon[1029]: Received response from host 192.168.7.1 with invalid
>> source port 32783 on interface 'eth0.0'
>>
>> I looked on the internet and found a blog with the same problem:
>>
>> http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Received-response-from-host-router-IP-address-with-invalid/td-p/405931
>>
>> I went to CISCO to determine what the resolution was.
>> 1. Live Chat support informed me that Linksys was only supported under
>> Windows and that I could call live support at 1-800-326-7114.
>> 2. Live support made be perform rather silly tests under Windows. Then
>> passed me to a supervisor.
>> 3. The Supervisor could not find the above email thread on their own site!
>>
>> Linksys does not have an email address for support. And the people I spoke
>> to were not savvy enough to understand the problem as described in the above
>> thread.
>>
>> Is Linksys a known problem for Linux systems? Should it be?
>>
>> Are there any suggestions on how to bound the size of my message files other
>> that editing avhi so that it does not issue these warning messages?
>
> To stop Avahi from spamming syslog, copy
> /lib/systemd/system/avahi-daemon.service to /etc/systemd/system. Then
> edit the newly copied /etc/systemd/system/avahi-daemon.service and add
> "StandardOutput=null" to the [Service] section.  Finally, run
> `systemctl daemon-reload&&  systemctl restart avahi-daemon.service` to
> make the change take effect immediately.
>
>> I was online or on the phone to Linksys for over 3 hours. I do not know
>> where they are located, but I could barely understand their english. It was
>> one of the worst support experiences in my 35 years of system involvement!
>>
>> Don
>
> -T.C.
T.C.
I think I made the changes you described. I still get the invalid source
port messages. The output from /var/log/messages and the file from
/etc/systemd/system/avahi-daemon.service are included in the attached
file. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your inputs.
Don

|    Don Fisher                         hdf3 at comcast.net        |
|    865 W. Cresta Loma Dr.             VOICE: (520)888-7613    |
|    Tucson, AZ. 85704-3705                                     |