F16/Gnome 3 - Recent Documents

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Feb 7 16:38:19 UTC 2012

On 02/07/2012 11:01 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 10:06:17AM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

>>> For any apps that use the recent docs integration bits, you can just
>>> type part of their name in the GNOME Shell overview and the document
>>> should appear as a result.  I use this quite a bit myself.
>> Took me a bit of thought to figure out what you probably meant by
>> 'GNOME Shell overview'.  I guessed it was that box in the upper
>> right what says search.  And I typed in part of a document name not
>> opened but did have opened a little while back and it worked,
>> bringing up a 'recent' view showing this document as a calc doc.
>> Clicking on it opened it.  Kind of neat.
> [...snip...]
>
> The overview is that "zoom out" mode that you can get by hitting the
> logo key on your keyboard, or Alt+F1, or hitting the upper left corner
> hotspot, or clicking on the Activities menu.

Thanks for defining 'GNOME overview' for me.  I missed that the logo key
is equivalent to Alt+F1.  I have noticed that my system switches to
overview mode sometimes for no obvious reason....

> You can actually just start typing right away without clicking
> anything, and the search box is used by default.  This is awesome both
> because it reduces the number of actions for everyone, and also
> because if you use the keyboard to switch to the overview already, you
> never need to move your hand to your other input device (mouse or
> trackball or what-have-you).

Yes, truly awesome.  Thanks for this tip.

Now if there is a keystroke to switch from 'windows' view to
'appllications' in the overview and then to select app submenus I would
be even more thankful!