F16/Gnome 3 - Recent Documents

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 20:55:27 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 11:38:19AM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 02/07/2012 11:01 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> >>Took me a bit of thought to figure out what you probably meant by
> >>'GNOME Shell overview'.  I guessed it was that box in the upper
> >>right what says search.  And I typed in part of a document name not
> >>opened but did have opened a little while back and it worked,
> >>bringing up a 'recent' view showing this document as a calc doc.
> >>Clicking on it opened it.  Kind of neat.
> >[...snip...]
> >
> >The overview is that "zoom out" mode that you can get by hitting the
> >logo key on your keyboard, or Alt+F1, or hitting the upper left corner
> >hotspot, or clicking on the Activities menu.
>
> Thanks for defining 'GNOME overview' for me.  I missed that the logo
> key is equivalent to Alt+F1.  I have noticed that my system switches
> to overview mode sometimes for no obvious reason....
>

> >You can actually just start typing right away without clicking
> >anything, and the search box is used by default.  This is awesome both
> >because it reduces the number of actions for everyone, and also
> >because if you use the keyboard to switch to the overview already, you
> >never need to move your hand to your other input device (mouse or
> >trackball or what-have-you).
>
> Yes, truly awesome.  Thanks for this tip.
>
> Now if there is a keystroke to switch from 'windows' view to
> 'appllications' in the overview and then to select app submenus I
> would be even more thankful!

Hang onto your hats... ;-) Once you're in the overview, you can hit
Ctrl+Alt+Tab and cycle through choices to go to Applications!  Once
you're there you can hit arrows to move around, including to the
submenus, which basically act like filters on the apps list.  You can
hit Enter to select an application, or a submenu filter from the list.