Cannot log in after boot:-(

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 22:19:36 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM, don fisher <hdf3 at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 02/09/12 13:00, James Wilkinson wrote:
>>
>> don fisher wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess I am not sure which level it is. I linked
>>> /lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target  to
>>> /etc/systemd/system/default.target. It may be level 3. The system
>>> used to work until a crash. I restored the system, but something is
>>> amiss in the login verification.
>>

>> Did you restore all the selinux contexts?
>>
>> Try booting in permissive mode, or run
>> touch /.autorelabel
>> and reboot.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> James.
>>
> James,
>
> Please help with details. I just converted back from Ubuntu, so have been
> away for awhile. What selinux contexts would need to be restored? And how
> does one run in permissive mode? I have not been careful to restore the rw
> permissions on the passwd/group etc. files. Does it check for that?

You can boot into permissive mode by adding "selinux=permissive" to
the kernel command line.  (You can also change to it on the fly by
running `setenforce 0` or change it permanently by editing
/etc/sysconfig/selinux.)

A script run during boot checks for the existence of /.autorelabel,
which will trigger a complete scan of your filesystem, relabeling any
strange SELinux contexts to their defaults, so `touch /.autorelabel`
should fix any SELinux issues you might have. You can also reset
individual files with the `restorecon` command.

It does not fix the standard Unix permissions on files though.  If
you're concerned about that, just `chmod 644 /etc/passwd /etc/group`
and `chmod 000 /etc/shadow /etc/gshadow`.

-T.C.