Yum and Fedora 16 -- focus on "new/moved filesystems"

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Feb 10 02:08:30 UTC 2012

Am 10.02.2012 02:51, schrieb Paul Allen Newell:
> but for whatever reason my gut says that clean installs when F17 is released
> will probably work (no bets on Rawhide as that is where the problems are
> supposed to be discovered --- and notice I use the word "probably" and not
> "definitely" (smile)). I am less positive about upgrades from prior Fedoras.
> But, that being said, I must confess that I never do an upgrade, always a fresh
> install.

but there are people who are working with their machines and do
not twice a year reinstall like windows - for me it takes TWO DAYS
until a fresh installed machine has exactly the state i like/need
to have before start working

this is for my two workstations

here are running 20 server (Vmware guests) in production since
2008 (Fedora 9) currently on F15 and i have never made
a fresh install of a linux system in my whole life for
updates because it is not windows and should not get windows

even i do not a fresh install for new pyhsical machines
my machine at home was bought two months after the workstation
in the office, both with 4x2 TB disks with RAID1 for /boot
and two RAID10 for / and /data and the seocnd one was a
simple dd-over-ssh-clone and change ip-addresses

this are the things where linux is really strong and
damage yum-upgrades in any way would be a hughe step
backwards to windows-gameloaders