Yum and Fedora 16 -- focus on "new/moved filesystems"

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Feb 10 02:54:41 UTC 2012

On 2/9/2012 6:08 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 10.02.2012 02:51, schrieb Paul Allen Newell:
>> but for whatever reason my gut says that clean installs when F17 is released
>> will probably work (no bets on Rawhide as that is where the problems are
>> supposed to be discovered --- and notice I use the word "probably" and not
>> "definitely" (smile)). I am less positive about upgrades from prior Fedoras.
>> But, that being said, I must confess that I never do an upgrade, always a fresh
>> install.
> but there are people who are working with their machines and do
> not twice a year reinstall like windows - for me it takes TWO DAYS
> until a fresh installed machine has exactly the state i like/need
> to have before start working

Please note that I never advised that anyone else should do a fresh
install rather than an upgrade. I was only qualifying my opinion about
"new/moved filesystems" in F17. Plus I don't think Windows has anything
to do with the topic or what I said ... the closest one can get in the
way of comparisons is "fresh install" versus "upgrade" for dealing with
future Fedora changes.