Yum and Fedora 16 -- focus on "new/moved filesystems"

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Feb 10 03:02:09 UTC 2012

Am 10.02.2012 03:54, schrieb Paul Allen Newell:
> On 2/9/2012 6:08 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> Am 10.02.2012 02:51, schrieb Paul Allen Newell:
>>> but for whatever reason my gut says that clean installs when F17 is released
>>> will probably work (no bets on Rawhide as that is where the problems are
>>> supposed to be discovered --- and notice I use the word "probably" and not
>>> "definitely" (smile)). I am less positive about upgrades from prior Fedoras.
>>> But, that being said, I must confess that I never do an upgrade, always a fresh
>>> install.
>> but there are people who are working with their machines and do
>> not twice a year reinstall like windows - for me it takes TWO DAYS
>> until a fresh installed machine has exactly the state i like/need
>> to have before start working
>>

> Please note that I never advised that anyone else should do a fresh install rather than an upgrade. I was only
> qualifying my opinion about "new/moved filesystems" in F17. Plus I don't think Windows has anything to do with the
> topic or what I said ... the closest one can get in the way of comparisons is "fresh install" versus "upgrade" for
> dealing with future Fedora changes.

sorry, but permanently reinstall the OS is a windows-thing
and especially unnaceptable if all 6 months a new version
is available and you have to maintain 2, 5, 10, 20 machines

a scripted dist-upgrade for 20 servers with yum takes around
two hours (proveable by logs) inlcuding download from local
repo-cache