Yum and Fedora 16 -- focus on "new/moved filesystems"

David dgboles at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 04:31:05 UTC 2012

On 2/9/2012 8:51 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> On 2/9/2012 2:12 PM, David wrote:

>>> Yes indeed.  When I read what was going to be done, my first thought
>>> was, "Dear Ghod in Heaven, *why?*"  By the time I reached the bottom of
>>> the page it all made sense.  One question, though: will there be a way
>>> to recover the disk space used by the now-redundant directories?  I know
>>> that with modern disks the amount lost is probably trivial, but I go
>>> back to the days when a 40MB drive was *huge,* and I still don't like
>>> wasting space for no good reason.  Besides, it's untidy.
>> I read about this and, to me, it really makes good sense. I agree with
>> this. But...
>>
>> As I understand it...  and I am certainly *not* a Linux genius...  this
>> is currently not automatic with a DVD or 'online' update from 'older
>> Fedora'  to Fedora 17. Work-in-progress stuff. It does not work.
>> Following the instructions on the page, me, updated Fedora 16 twice and
>> succeeded once. Attempting to update an existing Rawhide, twice, failed
>> twice. And these were 'plain' installs. Certainly nothing exotic.
>>
>> As I said I do not consider myself a 'Linux genus'  but I can read,
>> comprehend, and follow directions. I *do not* expect Joe/Jane Average
>> User to be able to follow those instructions. Would you? Nor would I
>> expect (s)he to.
>>
>> This has to *just work*, seamlessly and painlessly, out-of-the-box or
>> the b*tching will start on release day.
>>
>> IMHO
>
> David (and to everyone else who has posted):
>
> I read it when you first sent the link and re-read awhile later to make
> sure I understood. Also read all the posts on this topic.
>
> It makes sense and, if I take the statement that Solaris is already
> doing it, then I feel that its gotten at least one successful test
> drive. I am less of a Linux genius than probably everyone who has
> responded, but for whatever reason my gut says that clean installs when
> F17 is released will probably work (no bets on Rawhide as that is where
> the problems are supposed to be discovered --- and notice I use the word
> "probably" and not "definitely" (smile)). I am less positive about
> upgrades from prior Fedoras. But, that being said, I must confess that I
> never do an upgrade, always a fresh install.

Paul,

I have yet to see a fresh install of Rawhide or Fedora 17. The current
nightly Rawhide build ISOs will not install at all, for me, for some
reason, and there are no as of yet ISOs available of Fedora 17 that I
know of.

I would expect the Fedora 17 install, with this /usrmove in it, would
work. I have yet, as I wrote, to have great success with the conversion
phase. 25%, one success out of four attempts, is not good.

I would not expect a 'new install' user to even notice. I would,
however, expect to see the 'update installers' have problems at this
time. At least with what is not working today. And fedora 17 is
scheduled for release on May 5, 2012. Hopefully they fix it by then

--

  David

"May your road lead you to warm sands."