Yum and Fedora 16 -- focus on "new/moved filesystems"

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Feb 10 04:51:31 UTC 2012

On 2/9/2012 8:31 PM, David wrote:
> Paul,
>
> I have yet to see a fresh install of Rawhide or Fedora 17. The current
> nightly Rawhide build ISOs will not install at all, for me, for some
> reason, and there are no as of yet ISOs available of Fedora 17 that I
> know of.
>
> I would expect the Fedora 17 install, with this /usrmove in it, would
> work. I have yet, as I wrote, to have great success with the conversion
> phase. 25%, one success out of four attempts, is not good.
>
> I would not expect a 'new install' user to even notice. I would,
> however, expect to see the 'update installers' have problems at this
> time. At least with what is not working today. And fedora 17 is
> scheduled for release on May 5, 2012. Hopefully they fix it by then

David:

I am very much hoping they fix it and well before May 5th. Getting it
working for "update installations" is the robust stress test of the
whole implementation.

Rawhide is too bleeding edge for me. But I am glad to be aware of this
as I certainly will be checking for comments on or after May 5th when I
consider whether I move to F17 or wait for F18. I skipped F15 for
similar reasons ... I just didn't like what I was seeing posted as folks
discovered what was there in the release version.

Paul