Yum and Fedora 16 -- focus on "new/moved filesystems"

David dgboles at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 05:16:59 UTC 2012

On 2/9/2012 11:51 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> On 2/9/2012 8:31 PM, David wrote:
>> Paul,
>>
>> I have yet to see a fresh install of Rawhide or Fedora 17. The current
>> nightly Rawhide build ISOs will not install at all, for me, for some
>> reason, and there are no as of yet ISOs available of Fedora 17 that I
>> know of.
>>
>> I would expect the Fedora 17 install, with this /usrmove in it, would
>> work. I have yet, as I wrote, to have great success with the conversion
>> phase. 25%, one success out of four attempts, is not good.
>>
>> I would not expect a 'new install' user to even notice. I would,
>> however, expect to see the 'update installers' have problems at this
>> time. At least with what is not working today. And fedora 17 is
>> scheduled for release on May 5, 2012. Hopefully they fix it by then
>>

> David:
>
> I am very much hoping they fix it and well before May 5th. Getting it
> working for "update installations" is the robust stress test of the
> whole implementation.
>
> Rawhide is too bleeding edge for me. But I am glad to be aware of this
> as I certainly will be checking for comments on or after May 5th when I
> consider whether I move to F17 or wait for F18. I skipped F15 for
> similar reasons ... I just didn't like what I was seeing posted as folks
> discovered what was there in the release version.

Understood. As I said it appears, and I would expect, that a 'fresh
install' does work with no problems. And I am not saying that the update
path does not, or will not, work. Only that I did not have much success
with it.

And, as I recall, the 'problems' in the several previous Fedora releases
you mentioned were with update installs. And those updates were to highly
modified (user configured) systems.
--

  David

"May your road lead you to warm sands."