Googlecl

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Feb 12 13:41:42 UTC 2012

Pete Travis wrote:

>> I don't think my system is at all "mixed up", whatever that means.
>
> You've started at least five threads on various problems in recent days. I
> stopped keeping track.

All the threads I contributed to (I didn't start them all)
were concerned with communication between Android phones and Linux,
particularly Fedora.
I think this is quite an interesting topic, and even an important one,
since Android is a version of Linux, and as a consequence there are probably
more installations of Linux running on phones than on laptops.

>> I don't know if you read my original query,
>> but my problem is that my Android phone does not seem to be sync-ing
>> with my Google account, although it says it is.
>
> Are you sure the contacts are gmail account contacts?

Sigh.
I have an Android phone, with 207 contacts listed in it.
I have a Google account, with 17 contacts listed in it.
I want to bring them into sync.

> This has nothing to do with Fedora.

I've already explained the connection with Fedora.
I want the KAddressBook on my laptop to sync (to some extent)
with my Android phone, and the simplest way to do this at present
seems to be via Google.
(I have sync-ed the phone with a Kies account under Windows
and with a Funambol account under Linux,
but Google seems a more generic way if I can get it working.)

> You need to read your phone's manual.

I have read the manual for my Samsung Galaxy S2 (it is online),
but it has been of little help in this area.
(In fact - I just checked in the Index of the 164-page manual -
there is no mention of transferring contacts to or from the phone,
except to the SIM card.)

> This should be no more complicated than adding your gmail account to
> Thunderbird or Evolution.

Actually, I don't use either of these - I use KMail/Kontacts/KAddressBook.
But I don't see the connection with my problem/question.

Incidentally, do you actually have an Android phone?
If you don't, I doubt if you will be able to help me.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net