Googlecl

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Sun Feb 12 04:14:46 UTC 2012

On Feb 11, 2012 7:19 AM, "Timothy Murphy" <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> >> I ran it with and without sudo,
> >> just to see if there was any difference.
> >> There wasn't.
>
> > It it in your best interests to get out of that habit.  You are going to
> > start seeing strange problems you don't understand, and things will
break
> > in ways that are hard to troubleshoot and fix.  Your system sounds
pretty
> > mixed up, and I'm guessing that running things as root unecessarily is a
> > contributing factor.
>
> I think you are talking nonsense.
>
> I ran a command normally (as myself), and it did not work.
>
> So I ran it with sudo, to see if there were some permission problem.
> It still didn't work, so the problem was not one of permissions.
>
> This seems to me a perfectly normal procedure.

Not in my world.  I put a bit of thought into what I'm doing.  Why would
google only allow the root user of your local system to access normal user
data stored on their system?

> I don't think my system is at all "mixed up", whatever that means.

You've started at least five threads on various problems in recent days. I
stopped keeping track.

> Personally, if I have a problem I try everything I can think of
> or that is suggested, to try to solve it.
I'm suggesting you use your root account responsibly. It's your system, do
what you will, but you came here for support and this advice is part of it.

> The question was, could I have contacts in my Google account
> that I could not see with my Firefox browser

No.

> (which seemed just possible, since the Google toolbar
> is no longer available in Firefox)?

Dropping core features of a multiplatform cloud service based on the
presence of a specific search helper extention in one browser on one
machine sounds confusing and difficult.  How could google anticipate that a
given android user would later use a browser without the toolbar?

> Accordingly, I ran the CLI application googlecl
> (called google, confusingly), first as myself, and then with sudo.
> Neither saw any new contacts in my Google account.

Get your phone syncing first, then figure out google-cl.

> I don't know if you read my original query,
> but my problem is that my Android phone does not seem to be sync-ing
> with my Google account, although it says it is.

Are you sure the contacts are gmail account contacts? You could have chosen
to save them only as device contacts - and i doubt there is a mechanism to
sync them, considering the great effort put into integration wirh Google
services to provide this functionality.

> This has nothing at all to do with my laptop,
> whose health you seem to be concerned about.

This has nothing to do with Fedora. You need to read your phone's manual.
This should be no more complicated than adding your gmail account to
Thunderbird or Evolution.

--pete