Googlecl

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Feb 11 14:18:40 UTC 2012

Pete Travis wrote:

>> > Why do you need to run this as root?
>>
>> I ran it with and without sudo,
>> just to see if there was any difference.
>> There wasn't.

> It it in your best interests to get out of that habit.  You are going to
> start seeing strange problems you don't understand, and things will break
> in ways that are hard to troubleshoot and fix.  Your system sounds pretty
> mixed up, and I'm guessing that running things as root unecessarily is a
> contributing factor.

I think you are talking nonsense.

I ran a command normally (as myself), and it did not work.

So I ran it with sudo, to see if there were some permission problem.
It still didn't work, so the problem was not one of permissions.

This seems to me a perfectly normal procedure.
I don't think my system is at all "mixed up", whatever that means.

Personally, if I have a problem I try everything I can think of
or that is suggested, to try to solve it.

The question was, could I have contacts in my Google account
that I could not see with my Firefox browser
(which seemed just possible, since the Google toolbar
is no longer available in Firefox)?
Accordingly, I ran the CLI application googlecl
(called google, confusingly), first as myself, and then with sudo.
Neither saw any new contacts in my Google account.

I don't know if you read my original query,
but my problem is that my Android phone does not seem to be sync-ing
with my Google account, although it says it is.
This has nothing at all to do with my laptop,
whose health you seem to be concerned about.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net