F15 update: no more nvidia

Bruce Korb bkorb at gnu.org
Mon Feb 13 02:58:13 UTC 2012

On 02/12/12 15:28, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 13.02.2012 00:21, schrieb Bruce Korb:
>> On 02/12/12 14:17, jonetsu wrote:
>>>
>>> How to get back high resolution and
>>
>> Go to the nvidia driver download page:  http://bit.ly/AbjlHC
>> You'll have to have the linux source RPM installed and rebuild it.
>> The "open source" driver has now progressed to where it almost
>> works, but I don't find "almost" to be good enough for prime time.
>
> why recommending the BLOB from nvidia-homepage WITHOUT BIG WARNING
> that EVERYTIME after kernel-updates GUI will be broken?

Because, more-or-less, my GUI gets broken everytime the kernel
gets updated anyway.  I think if you have one monitor and an older
nVidia card, you may be okay with that nouveau horse dung.
Otherwise, you've got nothing but problems.  Frankly, it is easier
to go through a longer sequence of well-trodden paths than it is
to diagnose the situation when nouveau decides to give you
reduced resolution on only one monitor.  That's why.