/boot on RAID with fedora16

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Feb 15 02:52:33 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> said:
> Alex writes:
> >I understand /boot on RAID1 on fedora16 isn't supported.
>
> That's news to me.

It is apparently the "official" stance; see the F16 common bugs page.

> Yup, all three of my F16 servers have /boot on RAID1.

I went through a PITA today getting F16 installed with /boot on a
pre-existing RAID1 partitions.

I also discovered that the new-and-improved(not!) GRUB2 won't install to
partitions.  I use to set up multiple installs by:

- create a small partition, install GRUB on it, and having its config do
  nothing but chain-load other partitions (this GRUB gets installed in
  MBR)
- set up each install with a separate /boot on an extended partition and
  install its GRUB to the partition rather than the MBR

This way I was guaranteed that no install's GRUB would be messed up by
another.  The top-level GRUB was a menu of OS installs (e.g. Fedora 15,
Fedora Rawhide, Windoze).

I couldn't get GRUB2 for F16 installed to my F16 /boot partition; it
would only install to the MBR.  I guess that's progress.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>