/boot on RAID with fedora16

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 03:01:31 UTC 2012

Hi,

>> >I understand /boot on RAID1 on fedora16 isn't supported.
>>
>> That's news to me.
>
> It is apparently the "official" stance; see the F16 common bugs page.

Yes, I also have an fc16 install with RAID1 on boot, but they mostly
don't work properly. The newer servers (ones that support the GPT disk
label format?) seem to work, but the older ones I have (using MS-DOS
format) don't.

I really can't believe the default install with two disks is LVM with
striped disks and no redundancy. It's such a process just to create a
RAID system.

>> Yup, all three of my F16 servers have /boot on RAID1.
>
> I went through a PITA today getting F16 installed with /boot on a
> pre-existing RAID1 partitions.

So you mean an upgrade? Or did you format the partitions? And if so,
why not just reinstall?

> I also discovered that the new-and-improved(not!) GRUB2 won't install to
> partitions.  I use to set up multiple installs by:
>
> - create a small partition, install GRUB on it, and having its config do
>  nothing but chain-load other partitions (this GRUB gets installed in
>  MBR)
> - set up each install with a separate /boot on an extended partition and
>  install its GRUB to the partition rather than the MBR

Did you do this all with the installer? Or manually on the
command-line from a shell within the installer?

> I couldn't get GRUB2 for F16 installed to my F16 /boot partition; it
> would only install to the MBR.  I guess that's progress.

So then if I install to MBR, do I have to use a rescue disc to recover
a system with a failed /dev/sda?

Thanks again,
Alex