No sound -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Feb 15 16:40:29 UTC 2012

On 15/02/12 04:19, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 14/02/12 20:56, stan wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:05:28 -0500
>> Bob Goodwin<bobgoodwin at wildblue.net>  wrote:
>>
>>>      I have two F-16/64 bit computers that have sound problems. The
>>>      second one has no sound at all.
>

>> Beyond that, you need someone knowledgeable in PA, and that isn't me.
>
>    I thank you for your help.
>
>    Bob

    As shown in Patrick Dupre's thread "sound" I did:

        setfacl -m u:bobg:rw /dev/snd/*

    Which restores sound to operation until the system is rebooted when
    the command must be repeated again as root. Obviously there is still
    something amiss.

    Another thing I notice is when I do "groups" on this computer:

        [bobg at box6 ~]$ groups
        bobg uucp dialout video audio nobody pulse-access nfsnobody

    but on the other computer with the no sound problem:

        [bobg at box9 ~]$ groups
        bobg pulse-access

    And I added pulse-access from the Users and Groups GUI. It would not
    let me add "audio" protesting that there was already an group
    "audio" although it is not shown in the GUI?

    The more I do with this the more apparent my ignorance is. I suppose
    I could try re-installing pulseaudio as suggested earlier but then
    the next step will be re-installing F-16 which is hardly progress
    since that means another day spent getting it configured, updated,
    and needed applications installed with my limited bandwidth, aargh!

    Suggestions ?

    Bob
    .