No sound -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Feb 15 09:19:37 UTC 2012

On 14/02/12 20:56, stan wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:05:28 -0500
> Bob Goodwin<bobgoodwin at wildblue.net>  wrote:
>
>>      I have two F-16/64 bit computers that have sound problems. The
>>      second one has no sound at all.
>>
>>      I can see sound moving the indicator trace in PA Volume Output
>>      Devices but it does not get to ALSA.
>>
>>      PA sees no sound card at all, just a dummy. PA vol. configuration
>>      has nothing to select.
>>
>>      Neither computer had a sound problem with F-15.
>>
>>      My problems appear to be similar to those of Patrick Dupre.
>>
>>      Alsamixer shows the sound card as "HDA Intel" but it is not "seen"
>>      by PA.
> HDA Intel is a generic name for the type of card, sort of like tissue
> is generic, whereas Kleenex says it is manufactured by a specific
> corp.  aplay -lv will tell you that corp name and model, and the alsa
> driver name.
>
>>      blacklist.conf is:
> No problems here.
>
>>      Suggestions?
> If you type, in a console, aplay some.wav , do you hear sound?
> You have to replace some.wav with an actual wav file, but this sends
> sound directly to alsa, and should work on both your machines.

    [bobg at box9 ~]$ aplay -lv
    aplay: device_list:240: no soundcards found...

    I usually test sound with:

        [bobg at box9 ~]$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/purple/login.wav
        Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/purple/login.wav' : Signed 16
        bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Stereo

    However in this case no audible sound is produced.

    Also as was suggested in the past I can run "pacmd info" and see the following:

        ... snip ...
        1 sink(s) available.
           * index: 0
             name: <auto_null>
             driver: <module-null-sink.c>
             flags: DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY FLAT_VOLUME DYNAMIC_LATENCY
             state: SUSPENDED
             suspend cause: IDLE
             priority: 1000
             volume: 0: 100% 1: 100%
                     0: 0.00 dB 1: 0.00 dB
                     balance 0.00
             base volume: 100%
                          0.00 dB
             volume steps: 65537
             muted: no
             current latency: 0.00 ms
             max request: 1722 KiB
             max rewind: 1722 KiB
             monitor source: 0
             sample spec: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
             channel map: front-left,front-right
                          Stereo
             used by: 0
             linked by: 0
             configured latency: 0.00 ms; range is 0.50 .. 10000.00 ms
             module: 10
             properties:
                 device.description = "Dummy Output"
                 device.class = "abstract"
                 device.icon_name = "audio-card"
        ... snip ...

    I'm not sure how to interpret this but there's that "Dummy Output"
    again!

>   So alsa is recognizing your card but PA isn't able to use it. Do you
>   have alsa-plugins-pulseaudio installed. That sets alsa to use PA as its
> dafault output mode.

    "alsa-plugins-pulseaudio" removed and reinstalled using Yumex as a
    matter of convenience.

> You could try reinstalling PA to see if it will correct the sound
> configuration (or uninstalling and then installing again).

    Perhaps re-installing PA will help, but I'll wait 'til later to try
    that, it was three in the morning here and I just got up wanting a
    cup of coffee. I think I'll see if there is any response to this
    data first.

> Beyond that, you need someone knowledgeable in PA, and that isn't me.

    I thank you for your help.

    Bob