No sound -

stan gryt2 at q.com
Wed Feb 15 01:56:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:05:28 -0500
Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:

>     I have two F-16/64 bit computers that have sound problems. The
>     second one has no sound at all.
>
>     I can see sound moving the indicator trace in PA Volume Output
>     Devices but it does not get to ALSA.
>
>     PA sees no sound card at all, just a dummy. PA vol. configuration
>     has nothing to select.
>
>     Neither computer had a sound problem with F-15.
>
>     My problems appear to be similar to those of Patrick Dupre.
>
>     Alsamixer shows the sound card as "HDA Intel" but it is not "seen"
>     by PA.

HDA Intel is a generic name for the type of card, sort of like tissue
is generic, whereas Kleenex says it is manufactured by a specific
corp.  aplay -lv will tell you that corp name and model, and the alsa
driver name.

>     blacklist.conf is:
No problems here.

>     Suggestions?

If you type, in a console, aplay some.wav , do you hear sound?
You have to replace some.wav with an actual wav file, but this sends
sound directly to alsa, and should work on both your machines.

 So alsa is recognizing your card but PA isn't able to use it. Do you
 have alsa-plugins-pulseaudio installed. That sets alsa to use PA as its
dafault output mode.

You could try reinstalling PA to see if it will correct the sound
configuration (or uninstalling and then installing again).

Beyond that, you need someone knowledgeable in PA, and that isn't me.