F16 occasionally breaks RAID1 (md) on boot

Andreas M. Kirchwitz amk at spamfence.net
Thu Feb 16 02:48:43 UTC 2012

Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:

 > It's probably worth checking that /etc/mdadm.conf looks good. If it doesn't,
 > fix it and then rebuild your initramfs.

Good point, but "unfortunately" /etc/mdadm.conf looks perfectly fine.
Also /etc/fstab and all the harddisk-related entries in /dev. I guess,
if its just a matter of configuration the RAID devices would always
fail and not just occasionally.

What I don't understand is that there are no related error messages
in /var/log/*. If one of the RAID devices cannot be assembled as it
should be, I would expect the kernel (or whoever puts the RAID devices
together) complain about it very loudly.

Well, maybe that's a good question for further debugging: who puts the
RAID devices together? If I understand you correctly, some process
during the system boot looks at the copy of /etc/mdadm.conf in my
initramfs and tries to make the best out of it. Who is it exactly?

My computer has all package updates installed, of course. Currently
installed kernels are 3.2.6 (active) and 3.2.5 (previous). The broken
RAID happens with both of them. However, I'm wondering that I haven't
noticed such RAID issues right after the installation with kernel 3.0.
I did a couple of reboots at that time, and it didn't break my RAIDs.
Maybe the problem was introduced by an updated package that is related
to the boot process. Is that possible?

	Greetings, Andreas