F16 occasionally breaks RAID1 (md) on boot

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Feb 16 03:37:47 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 02:48:43AM +0000, Andreas M. Kirchwitz wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
>
>  > It's probably worth checking that /etc/mdadm.conf looks good. If it doesn't,
>  > fix it and then rebuild your initramfs.
>
> Good point, but "unfortunately" /etc/mdadm.conf looks perfectly fine.
> Also /etc/fstab and all the harddisk-related entries in /dev. I guess,
> if its just a matter of configuration the RAID devices would always
> fail and not just occasionally.
>
> What I don't understand is that there are no related error messages
> in /var/log/*. If one of the RAID devices cannot be assembled as it
> should be, I would expect the kernel (or whoever puts the RAID devices
> together) complain about it very loudly.

Have you checked root's email? I found the hard way a year or so
ago when I had a raid failure that emails from mdadm were piling up
in root's mailbox, which gets checked only occasionally.

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding