Recovery mode. Login as root without password

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Feb 16 21:29:09 UTC 2012

Am 16.02.2012 22:22, schrieb Bruno Wolff III:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:14:09 -0800,
>   Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
>> On 02/16/2012 11:57 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> becasue it is mandatory and logical as pre-condition
>>> to disallow booting from external media
>>
>> You know that, I know that and, I'd hope, everybody on this list
>> knows that.  I can assure you, however, from almost a decade's
>> experience doing tech support, that there are an awful lot of people
>> out there who know just enough to block booting from external media
>> but not enough to finish the job by setting a BIOS password.
>
> Except that it's useful to be able to boot from external media. I prefer
> to use encrypted disks. This protects against casual stuff and going much
> farther gets a lot harder when you are assuming people have unsupervised
> physical access to your machine.

it prevents also you accessing your data if fedora
does another time one "next big thing change" and
after upgrade your encrypted disk is not mounted

thanks, but after the last year a no-go

if one has physical access to my workstations and the time
to open the machine the computer is really the smallest
problem and all really important data are on servers
usually virzalized where "physical access" is not possible
per design