issues logging in after fresh install fc16

Les Howell hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Feb 18 10:05:02 UTC 2012

--- On Fri, 2/17/12, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

From: Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
Subject: Re: issues logging in after fresh install fc16
To: "Community support for Fedora users" <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Date: Friday, February 17, 2012, 8:29 PM

On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 19:59 -0800, Les Howell wrote:
> NEW problem  ON login I get the Fedora version of BSD "Oh No!
> something has gone wrong"  Only option button is logout. This is not
> helpful...

Agreed.

>  Also get a SELinux alert but of course can't read it due to the
> logout button screen blocking the world from view.

Sometimes left or right clicking on some other part of the screen,
apparently with no reaction, does prove useful in a delayed manner
(something else shows up, or you do actually manage to log in despite
the appearance that you're not going to be allowed to).

Have you done a "yum update" after your install?  That made it usable
for me.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Hi, Tim,
Yes, I did yum update immediately after the install.  Sorry I left that out of the log.
I am sure it is something in my user account that is messing up.  However I use a large number of tools, and have ongoing development of some software, some embedded stuff and two books in that directory, so I really  don't want to spend too much time trying out vearious things.  If there is a log to check, that would be wonderful.  dmesg didn't tell me anything useful.  I am still poking the carcass, and found a few interesting things:
  1. the add users tools is in the "other" portion of the menus.  I think it would be better in system tools.  There are a few other things I would move.  But I can't drag and drop them into the other menues.
  2.  The shows what appears to be extra unformatted partitions on the disk, at least if I am reading it correctly.  Not to worry I know because I have plenty of space, I just wasn't expecting F16 to leave nearly half the disk unformatted.

  I am going to spend tomorrow on it, then if I cannot resolve the issue I will create a new user, and begin migrating directories one at a time until things work.  However this is no way the way things should work.  There is nothing more frustrating than a useless error message with no clue what caused it or where to look for more information.  Whoever wrote that little bit of trivia needs to revisit it and provide some useful guidance.

And for those who don't like the new format of the desktop +1.... to get to a specific application before with a right click and a pull down, it is replaced with two clicks, a scroll some more clicks and other handwaving of one sort or another.  AND NO LIST.  What about the visually impared.  How can a screen reader deal with this?

Some lessons have to be learned again and again I guess.

Oh well, back to the original problem.  I think I will try another search based on the login time to see if I can find another error file updated.  I looked at a lot before I found the xsession-errors file that had been updated.  Maybe there is another I missed.

I will also try the trick of clicking somewhere else on the screen.  thanks,

Les H