issues logging in after fresh install fc16 SOLVED!!

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Feb 18 10:51:51 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-02-18 at 02:05 -0800, Les Howell wrote:

> [...]

Well, I deleted a bunch of old gaming .xx directories in the user file
and one or two of applications I no longer use and things got better.

I could log in, but not do anything. I restarted the system, and logged
in as my admin user, opened the selinux troubleshooter and found that
there were three problems, two with colord needing dbus read and another
that I can't read my own handwriting to figure out again.

Followed the advice and set the policy to set those using audit2allow
and semodule -i as instructed.  Then touched /.autorelable and rebooted.
Next login I got "Could not create ICE listening socket.  Cannot
establish an listening sockets."  I suspected that this was due to a
setup issue for networking, so waited a bit and logged in.  Found
another SELinux error about colord, so added that one too.

Another /.autorelable, reboot login cycle and success.  Evolution
remapped the files and email now works (the earlier messages were sent
using webmail).

So looks good for now.  A more helpful error message would have saved me
about 12 hours of poking and prodding and googling. How do I get that on
the bug list, or has someone already done that?

So I am now on F16 FEL.  I still have lots to do, adding MPLABX from
microchip, OpenSCAD, skeinforge, the various eclipse packages for
android, C++, etc.  But the first 18 hours is over and it is up and
running.  Still better than Windows 7, which by the time I had the
various utilities running, took me three weeks. and two OS upgrades
ending at Ultimate and at great expense. (it still has some issues with
some of the development packages and somethings still have to be run as
admin.  Windows is not my favorite by a long shot.)

So solved for now.  Thanks Tim for your help.

Regards,
Les H