Alsa-utils update broken

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Feb 18 10:11:38 UTC 2012

> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:10:00 +0100, RC (Ralf) wrote:
>
>> [...] Playing down the issues and to wipe them under the carpet
>> doesn't help anybody.
>
> Who's "playing down the issues"?  Don't make up such things
Well, as I read your response, you have been accusing the packager,
trying to shift respnsibilty away from rel-eng.

Have you ever heard the word "final inspection" (Germ. "Endkontrolle")?
In Fedora this is rel-eng => this kind of breakages is rel-eng's
responsibility.

> These issues are a topic not just on this mailing-list, but in (all?)
> Fedora related community support channels. Clearly they are not hidden
> under the carpet. That's enough bad publicity, and 3rd party repos
> add additional broken deps. Still one doesn't need to post sarcastic
> comments or misinterpret/misunderstand the reason for the broken dependency.
> It's simply wrong to conclude that testers should have noticed it.
>
>> Fact is: After all these years Fedora is around, rel-eng is still
>> pushing packages with broken deps, despite QA and AutoQA, and Fedora's
>> bureaucracy.
>
> And one thing still hasn't changed either: if this is your pet peeve
> issue, why haven't you done anything in all these years that extends the
> existing infrastructure with the missing feature?
<sigh/> I am can't get involved into everything.

>> I am not blaming the alsa-utils/libs packager(s), I am blaming those
>> people who are supposed to assure the distros' releases and updates are
>> consistent.
>
> I only added that pushing inter-dependent updates as multiple bodhi
> tickets makes it harder (if not impossible) for existing testers to catch
> broken deps like this.

rel-eng had 8 years to think about this problem and to develop
appropriate strategies. They obviously didn't.