Alsa-utils update broken

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 14:25:56 UTC 2012

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 11:11:38 +0100, RC (Ralf) wrote:

> On 02/15/2012 06:00 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:10:00 +0100, RC (Ralf) wrote:
> >
> >> [...] Playing down the issues and to wipe them under the carpet
> >> doesn't help anybody.
> >
> > Who's "playing down the issues"?  Don't make up such things
> Well, as I read your response, you have been accusing the packager,
> trying to shift respnsibilty away from rel-eng.

Let's call it an accusation then. Okay. No problem. Yes, I think the
packager(s) could avoid many broken dependencies themselves. Some just
don't do their homework (as you would say) and publish SONAME upgrades
without running a quick repoquery. Your conclusion is wrong, however.

It's common practice to combine related builds into a single bodhi
ticket, even more so when there is an explicit dependency between the
packages.

That explicit dependency is without comments in the spec file, which makes
it a packaging bug, and it is not arch-specific either, which makes it a
weak dependency. I've filed: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/794983

The packager has been asked (as a hint) to publish all alsa* builds
together and has rejected to do so. That's the "I choose to burn my
fingers" scenario.

> rel-eng had 8 years to think about this problem and to develop
> appropriate strategies. They obviously didn't.

AutoQA is an ongoing project, isn't it?