xsane problem -

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Feb 19 07:33:21 UTC 2012

On 2/18/2012 7:53 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> On 2/18/2012 7:22 PM, ny6p01 at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Paul, this may or may not help, but I think this site is really good
>> as far
>> as setting up a USB scanner with xsane. It is a Gentoo site, but I think
>> most of it is applicable to Fedora as well. I can't help but think this
>> problem is solvable with some simple thing. Good luck!
>>
>> http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Installing_USB_Scanner#Scanner_detection
>>

>> Terry
>
> Terry:
>
> Thanks for the link. I will check it out. I managed to get my F16 box
> current and I can't get the admin->printer to see the printer. This is
> using what worked on F14 -- only installed system-config-print cups
> hpijs.
>
> I suspect its because of the hook-up (F16 hardwired to Linksys wrt54gl
> hardwired to Linksys wap54 wireless to Linksys wrt54gl whereas the F14
> box is hardwired into the final wrt54gl where the printer is
> wirelessly beign seen as a DHCP).
>
> I've got to pound on some parts of my system to make sure its really
> as I think (plus some selinux / clamav / totem tests). Let me get that
> done, take a look at your suggestion and get back to you.
>
> Really appreciate your taking the time to give me some ideas.
> Paul

Terry:

I am at least back to ground zero. Problem was that the subnetwork that
the F16 machine was on made an assumption about "non-wireless" access
that I had to correct. I've got it and another F14 machine on it seeing
the printer and happily printing.

I am also seeing problems with the printer having made itself a DHCP
into my network and I am going to correct that tomorrow by forcing it
into a static ip and locking all machines to that. The
assignments/findings are flakey under DHCP when some other computer
might grab the address the printer had earlier.

Then I'll deal with you document and the "I can't scan issue". That
being said, such is not a showstopper for me as it works clean on XP and
I've got cygwin on that machine happily yakking with all the Linux boxes.

Progress!
Thanks,
Paul