xsane problem - also hp-setup w/ hp7510

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 20 00:27:28 UTC 2012

On 2/18/2012 11:33 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> On 2/18/2012 7:53 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>> On 2/18/2012 7:22 PM, ny6p01 at gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Installing_USB_Scanner#Scanner_detection
>>>

>>> Terry
>>
>> Terry:
>>
>> Thanks for the link. I will check it out.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> I've got to pound on some parts of my system to make sure its really
>> as I think (plus some selinux / clamav / totem tests). Let me get
>> that done, take a look at your suggestion and get back to you.
>>
>> Really appreciate your taking the time to give me some ideas.
>> Paul
>
> Terry:
>
> I am at least back to ground zero. Problem was that the subnetwork
> that the F16 machine was on made an assumption about "non-wireless"
> access that I had to correct. I've got it and another F14 machine on
> it seeing the printer and happily printing.

Okay, I've gone through the link and gotten everything on my end square
for testing.

Printer is now static IP and, using "yum install system-config-print
cups hpijs", I can print from any machine.

Installed hplip, hplip-gui, and xsane.

On my F14 system, I can hook up a CanoScan N1240 LIDE30 via USB and
xsane works (very nicely, I might add). However, neither the F14 or F16
systems will see any printer or scanner running hp-setup or xsane.
Which, in the case of the printer, is really odd as the admin->printer
clearly shows the networked printer.

The new Firefox 10.0.1 on F16 almost freezes up the whole system when I
try to access the scanner's ip. No such problem on F14 or XP (which are
using 3.6.27). I see 10.0.2 has jsut been releases and I'll wait for it
to show up via yum. Obviously, a different problem, but just makes
working on this one a bit harder).

One thing I did notice was I could not find a confirm that HP 7510 was
working with xsane, just a memo that it was well handled in hplip. So I
figure I've got to first get hp-setup to see the 7510.

That being said, I am 100% functional for printing and, given that I
only scan about 20 items a year, using the F14 or XP box is quite
acceptable. Not certain if my continued effort is actually going to gain
me anything except personal satisfaction.

If anyone has a HP 7510 running as networked (wireless into a router)
and can run hp-setup, I'd appreciate knowing so I can see if I am
missing something.

Thanks,
Paul