Desktop desires and questions

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sun Feb 19 20:35:43 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 19:33 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> les wrote:
> > The need to click to get to the computer is annoying at its very best
> > and a real vocabulary expander in normal use.  Every time I use one
> > application and I want to access another I have to click
> > 	"activities"
> Or press the Windows key
> > 	my windows shrink....
> > 	and I have to move the mouse to
> > 	"applications"
> Or type the name of the program, or change the dock at the left of the
> screen. You can just drag and drop programs into that list, and they’ll
> stay in the order you put them. If you put your commonly-used programs
> there, you’ll rarely have to use any other way of launching programs.
>
> You should also examine the various gnome-shell-extension programs, and
> especially the gnome-tweak-tool program, which allows you to change a
> number of individual niggles.
>
> > 	7.  do whatever else can be done to allow font selection, including
> > fontsize as well as icon size for the desktop.  This is an HID
> > requirement anyway.
>
> Well, the accessibility icon (the picture of a person) in the top right
> of the screen gives you access to large fonts. More control can be got
> through the gnome-tweak-tool program.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.
>
> --
> E-mail:     james@ | The "Power Switch" on ATX supplies, like traffic lights
> aprilcottage.co.uk | in Paris, really is just a polite suggestion.
>                    |     -- Mike Andrews
I just found the gnome-tweak-tool.  I now have gigantic fonts, a bit too
large, so I will have to play with it a bit.  Unfortunately it doesn't
change the names associated with the icons sufficiently, which I really
need. I still need to research which setting affects that.

I know the favorites bar, I have about 20 applications I use routinely,
and several places I need to directly access, so I am unsure if the
"favorites bar" will expand to show that or will I just end up with yet
another scroll bar or other move/click to deal with.

Maybe KDE is the answer, but it seems like from what I see on the Web
that KDE is headed this route as well.  So based on that I think getting
all of us to input reasons for our dislike along with suggestions and
maybe some day triage to consolidate the list, we might actually get
some thing useful out of it.

Thanks for the suggestion and I am working on the interface issues
myself.  Maybe a switch that says "my custom DM" will be the outcome.

Regards,
Les H